London Mail
  • Home
  • World
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Motering/Cars
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Travel
    • Crypto
    • Food
    • Home Improvment
      • Real Estate
    • Press Release
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Motering/Cars
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Travel
    • Crypto
    • Food
    • Home Improvment
      • Real Estate
    • Press Release
No Result
View All Result
London Mail
No Result
View All Result

The man set to get a £6m private tunnel to his house paid for by the taxpayer

by London Mail
January 7, 2025
in News
Reading Time: 6 mins read

A pensioner living next to a new major road project will have to access his home through a ‘private’ tunnel that could cost up to £6million.

Brian Garlick has been forced out of his home alongside the A417 Missing Link, a three-mile-long dual carriageway under construction between Gloucester and Cirencester.

But he says National Highways has withdrawn an offer of £750,000 to buy the property so he will be stuck with it after the project is completed in 2027.

Since then, Mr Garlick said he has been told in a meeting with the road authority that the safest way to access his home when the works are completed would be through a specially built tunnel costing between £4million and £6million.

National Highways said it always planned to build an underpass to allow access to two telephone masts and help with drainage in the area but was unable to be specific on the cost of individual elements of the scheme. 

The spokesperson added that while National Highways did initially discuss buying Mr Garlick’s property, it was later confirmed that it sits outside of the scheme boundary and therefore it ‘had no viable route to do so’. 

Mr Garlick, 69, who is living alone in a caravan park during the building phase, must currently give 21 days notice to access the home he was born in.

He explained that the tunnel is planned to be a quarter of a mile away from his house but the details of its dimensions are yet to be decided.   

Brian Garlick has been forced out of his home alongside the A417 Missing Link, a three-mile-long dual carriageway under construction between Gloucester and Cirencester

Brian Garlick has been forced out of his home alongside the A417 Missing Link, a three-mile-long dual carriageway under construction between Gloucester and Cirencester

He says National Highways has withdrawn an offer of £750k to buy the property so he will be stuck with it after the project is completed in 2027

He says National Highways has withdrawn an offer of £750k to buy the property so he will be stuck with it after the project is completed in 2027

The specially built tunnel would cost between £4million and £6million

The specially built tunnel would cost between £4million and £6million

Mr Garlick said: ‘At first I was a little bit shocked (when they suggested a tunnel) and a little bit over the top but when you looked at it there was no real other alternative for them to do it.

‘If they had paid me out like they initially said that would have been it.’

Mr Garlick initially hoped to sell his mum and grandad’s 1950s house to National Highways but has now been told it was ‘unable’ to buy it.

He said one offer had been made and later withdrawn. ‘The way they have handled everything has been absolutely diabolic,’ Mr Garlick added.

‘I live in a fifth wheel caravan – and I had to buy it myself. The contractors are only paying for the costs of the campsite fees and the petrol.

‘I still have to pay the council tax, electricity and all the bills for the house.

‘I have never had an apology from National Highways. They only came to the house in June and said the time has run out and we are not doing anything else. 

‘I haven’t heard anything from National Highways from then until now.’

Mr Garlick initially hoped to sell his mum and grandad's 1950s house to National Highways but has now been told it was 'unable' to buy it

Mr Garlick initially hoped to sell his mum and grandad’s 1950s house to National Highways but has now been told it was ‘unable’ to buy it

The project costing £460million is meant to reduce traffic congestion at the single-carriageway bottleneck stretch past Birdlip and is scheduled for completion in 2027

The project costing £460million is meant to reduce traffic congestion at the single-carriageway bottleneck stretch past Birdlip and is scheduled for completion in 2027

Construction work on the A417 Missing Link dual carriageway between Gloucester and Cirencester

Construction work on the A417 Missing Link dual carriageway between Gloucester and Cirencester

A National Highways visualisation of the features planned for the A417 Missing Link

A National Highways visualisation of the features planned for the A417 Missing Link

Mr Garlick, who is currently living alone in a caravan park during the building phase, must currently give 21 days notice to access the home he was born in

Mr Garlick, who is currently living alone in a caravan park during the building phase, must currently give 21 days notice to access the home he was born in

National Highways said it wouldn't be specific on the cost of individual elements of the scheme but added the underpass, which has to meet design standards, will also provide access to the telephone masts and emergency services

National Highways said it wouldn’t be specific on the cost of individual elements of the scheme but added the underpass, which has to meet design standards, will also provide access to the telephone masts and emergency services

The project costing £460million is meant to reduce traffic congestion at the single-carriageway bottleneck stretch past Birdlip and is scheduled for completion in 2027.

Until then, Mr Garlick is living in his caravan by himself.

He said: ‘When it is all done the roads will be far better. The actual tunnel will make it safer. Don’t know how the noise levels are going to be. They say they won’t do any extra glazing until one year and one day of the road being officially open.

‘You got to live with it for a year and then if there is noise here we are going to have to wait one year.’

A417 Missing Link programme manager for National Highways, Steve Foxley, said: ‘We had lengthy discussions with Mr Garlick ahead of construction regarding any disruption to him and agreed a way forward that worked for both parties.

‘We will continue to do our best to address any concerns and to minimise any impacts to the community and residents from our work on the scheme.’

National Highways said it wouldn’t be specific on the cost of individual elements of the scheme but added the underpass, which has to meet design standards, will also provide access to the telephone masts and emergency services.

The spokesperson added: ‘There was always going to be an underpass, and we are currently progressing the final design.’

Source link

Related Posts

Three sisters who died in sea off Brighton beach are named for first time: Father pays emotional tribute to his daughters as police continue probe into their deaths
News

Three sisters who died in sea off Brighton beach are named for first time: Father pays emotional tribute to his daughters as police continue probe into their deaths

May 20, 2026
Households with bigger gardens face being penalised with higher water bills under new green plans
News

Households with bigger gardens face being penalised with higher water bills under new green plans

May 17, 2026
Alaska Airlines passenger sues for major turbulence that left her with ‘deep trauma’
News

Alaska Airlines passenger sues for major turbulence that left her with ‘deep trauma’

May 14, 2026
Next Post
Growth in UK construction sector slows to six-month low as housebuilding drags

Growth in UK construction sector slows to six-month low as housebuilding drags

Troy Deeney in tetchy spat with Nigel Reo-Coker and ex-US star Mike Grella live on TV while working ‘unpaid’ for American channel CBS – after fans slammed him for calling Newcastle ‘undesirable’

Troy Deeney in tetchy spat with Nigel Reo-Coker and ex-US star Mike Grella live on TV while working 'unpaid' for American channel CBS - after fans slammed him for calling Newcastle 'undesirable'

The truth behind Trump’s bold bid for Greenland: China, rare minerals, space … and why it’s ‘not a joke’

The truth behind Trump's bold bid for Greenland: China, rare minerals, space ... and why it's 'not a joke'

Recommended

Could an electric blanket cut your heating bills? Experts reveal the numbers

Could an electric blanket cut your heating bills? Experts reveal the numbers

4 months ago
Disgraced former NFL star sentenced to more than 15 years in prison over $200m Medicare scam

Disgraced former NFL star sentenced to more than 15 years in prison over $200m Medicare scam

2 weeks ago
Dr. Betta Edu: A Focus on the real Narrative and Plea for reinstatement

Dr. Betta Edu: A Focus on the real Narrative and Plea for reinstatement

2 years ago
John Wayne kicked director in the chest on film set ‘There was a deadly silence’ | Films | Entertainment

John Wayne kicked director in the chest on film set ‘There was a deadly silence’ | Films | Entertainment

1 year ago

Categories

  • Business
  • Crypto
  • Entertainment
  • Food
  • Health
  • Home Improvment
  • Lifestyle
  • Motering/Cars
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Press Release
  • Real Estate
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • World
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

When the Past Still Feels Present: Understanding Trauma and PTSD

Cheaper food and free bus rides for children in Reeves’ cost-of-living plan

Apple quietly cuts support for three popular devices… is yours on the list?

Ice cream urgently recalled in 17 states over fears of contamination with dangerous metal

Freiburg vs Aston Villa – Europa League final LIVE: Latest score, team news and updates as Villans chase first silverware in 30 years with Istanbul showpiece

Best neck fans 2026, tested during a heatwave

London Mail

London Mail | Stay Informed, Stay Inspired ©2025, All rights Reserved

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Tech
  • News
  • Business
  • Science
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Opinion

London Mail | Stay Informed, Stay Inspired ©2025, All rights Reserved