London Mail
  • Home
  • World
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Motering/Cars
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Travel
    • Crypto
    • Food
    • Home Improvment
      • Real Estate
    • Press Release
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Motering/Cars
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Travel
    • Crypto
    • Food
    • Home Improvment
      • Real Estate
    • Press Release
No Result
View All Result
London Mail
No Result
View All Result
Home Tech

Facebook update will encourage Insta users to take a break, says Clegg

by London Mail
February 13, 2024
in Tech
Reading Time: 2 mins read
0
SHARES
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Instagram will encourage teenagers to take breaks after a series of damaging revelations about the social media app, Facebook’s head of global affairs Sir Nick Clegg has announced.

Sir Nick said Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, would also nudge young users away from images that might harm their mental health and allow parents to supervise their children’s activity.

In an interview with CNN, Sir Nick said: “We can’t change human nature, but we can change our product, which is exactly what we’re doing.”

Facebook is on the back foot after a former employee leaked internal research which claimed the company is aware of its often negative impact on teenagers’ wellbeing, particularly regarding body image issues.

Last week, Frances Haugen, the whistleblower, told US politicians that Facebook prioritises profits over safety and said it needs more regulation. Senators compared the crisis to a “big tobacco moment” and promised to rein in the company.

Sir Nick insisted that “for the overwhelming majority of teenagers Instagram is a positive experience” but said that limiting excessive use and harmful material would “make a considerable difference”.

He said that a version of Instagram for under-13s, which Facebook recently suspended work on, would ultimately be helpful.

Sir Nick said: “We actually think that’s part of the solution.”

The former deputy prime minister also pushed back on claims that Facebook’s algorithms are spreading hate speech, after Ms Haugen said the service would be safer if users saw posts in chronological order. 

He said: “If you removed the algorithm people would see more not less hate speech.” He added that Facebook was testing ways of reducing political content in its news feed.

Ms Haugen will pile more pressure on Facebook later this month when she gives evidence to Parliament. She is due to appear in front of the Joint Committee on the Online Safety Bill, which is examining the Government’s upcoming legislation for social media companies, on October 25.

Damian Collins, a Conservative MP and chairman of the committee, said: “Frances Haugen’s evidence has so far strengthened the case for an independent regulator with the power to audit and inspect the big tech companies.”

Source link

Related Posts

IMGP4O: Empowering the Future Digital Economy Through Democratized AI Compute
Tech

IMGP4O: Empowering the Future Digital Economy Through Democratized AI Compute

May 31, 2025
The benefits of using AI in business
Tech

The benefits of using AI in business

March 27, 2024
Apple reveals four new phones with better battery and camera
Tech

Apple reveals four new phones with better battery and camera

February 20, 2024
Next Post
German exit from EU ‘would ruin economy’

German exit from EU ‘would ruin economy’

I still regret how the BBC handled my Question of Sport exit

I still regret how the BBC handled my Question of Sport exit

Tom Holland Romeo and Juliet sold out after 70,000 in queue – More tickets soon | Theatre | Entertainment

Tom Holland Romeo and Juliet sold out after 70,000 in queue – More tickets soon | Theatre | Entertainment

Recommended

Geraint Thomas wins bronze but early crash costs him gold

Geraint Thomas wins bronze but early crash costs him gold

1 year ago
Fast food giant makes major recipe change to appease RFK JR that will change how your food tastes

Fast food giant makes major recipe change to appease RFK JR that will change how your food tastes

6 months ago
The Traitors: Play at home with this game ahead of season 2

The Traitors: Play at home with this game ahead of season 2

2 years ago
Is TikTok being banned? Everything you need to know after Supreme Court rules to shut down the app

Is TikTok being banned? Everything you need to know after Supreme Court rules to shut down the app

7 months ago

Categories

  • Business
  • Crypto
  • Entertainment
  • Food
  • Health
  • Home Improvment
  • Lifestyle
  • Motering/Cars
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Press Release
  • Real Estate
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • World
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

‘Masterpiece’ Netflix crime drama adaptation hailed ’superb’ as it debuts | Films | Entertainment

Urgent health warning as drinking water left in your car could be poisoning your body slowly over time

Hawaiian shirts, fanny packs and awful mispronunciations. Americans are driving Brits mad with outrageous social faux pas… have YOU done these?

‘I asked chefs which kind of olive oil is best and they all said the same thing’

Anyone with olive oil in their kitchen urged to avoid ‘mistake’ which can ruin taste

Carlos Alcaraz breaks his silence on dramatic new haircut – as bemused Rory McIlroy gives his verdict

London Mail

London Mail | Stay Informed, Stay Inspired ©2025, All rights Reserved

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Tech
  • News
  • Business
  • Science
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Opinion

London Mail | Stay Informed, Stay Inspired ©2025, All rights Reserved