London Mail
  • Home
  • World
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Motering/Cars
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Travel
    • Crypto
    • Food
    • Home Improvment
      • Real Estate
    • Press Release
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • World
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Health
  • Motering/Cars
  • More
    • Entertainment
    • Travel
    • Crypto
    • Food
    • Home Improvment
      • Real Estate
    • Press Release
No Result
View All Result
London Mail
No Result
View All Result

Alexander Zverev insists he is NOT distracted from the French Open by his hearing for domestic abuse next week after being accused of assaulting his ex-girlfriend

by London Mail
May 24, 2024
in Sports
Reading Time: 6 mins read
  • Alexander Zverev insists he is not being distracted by his court hearing
  • He is contesting a charge of domestic abuse but will not attend in person
  • He faces a ‘peak’ Rafael Nadal in the first round at Roland Garros on Sunday 

By Matthew Lambert

Published: 14:37 EDT, 24 May 2024 | Updated: 14:43 EDT, 24 May 2024

Alexander Zverev has insisted that his impending hearing for domestic abuse will be no distraction ahead of the French Open.

The world No4 was fined £390,000 by a German court and given a penalty order last year after being accused of assaulting his ex-girlfriend. The 27-year-old is contesting the charge and the hearing begins next Thursday.

After confirming that he will not be required to attend in person, Zverev was asked whether the court date is playing on his mind.

‘Not at all,’ he said. ‘I believe in the German system. I believe in the truth, as well. I know what I did, I know what I didn’t do.

‘At the end of the day, that’s what’s going to come out, and I have to trust in that.

Alexander Zverev has insisted he is not distracted from the French Open by his impending court hearing for domestic abuse

Alexander Zverev has insisted he is not distracted from the French Open by his impending court hearing for domestic abuse 

Brenda Patea described her former boyfriend as 'jealous' and claimed that this could result in 'repeated physical violence' against her. Zverev has denied all wrongdoing against him

Brenda Patea described her former boyfriend as ‘jealous’ and claimed that this could result in ‘repeated physical violence’ against her. Zverev has denied all wrongdoing against him

‘I’m not going to lose this procedure. There’s absolutely no chance I am. That’s why I can play calmly, and I think my results have been showing it.’

Zverev faces 14-time champion Rafael Nadal in a showstopping first-round match on Monday, and said he will not be underestimating a player who has looked shadow of his former self. ‘For me, in my mind, I’m going to play peak Rafa Nadal,’ he insisted. 

‘That’s what I expect him to be. I expect him to be at his absolute best. I expect him to play the best tennis he’s played in a long time on this court.

‘There’s always been discussion. I mean, [in] 2022 I remember he came into Roland Garros not winning Monte-Carlo, not winning Madrid, not winning Rome. 

‘He came into this tournament, everybody was like, “oh, he’s a big question mark, he’s this and that.” He came and dominated the entire tournament.

‘I think he’s going to be at his best, and that’s my mindset going into this match./

Zverev was asked who he felt was more unlucky to be playing the other at the earliest stage possible.  

He said: ‘I think both of us, if we would have a choice, we would choose differently, for sure. 

Zverev won his second Rome title in a confidence boost coming into Roland Garros

Zverev won his second Rome title in a confidence boost coming into Roland Garros 

He will face Rafael Nadal in the first round, a legend he describes as being in his 'peak'

He will face Rafael Nadal in the first round, a legend he describes as being in his ‘peak’

‘I really wanted to play him one more time, one more time. Because I didn’t want my last memory to be me rolling off in a wheelchair off Philippe Chatrier. I really wanted to play him here. 

‘I did not want to play him in the first round (smiling). I wanted to play him in the semifinals, finals, a later stage of the tournament. 

‘But at the end of the day, he’s not seeded, it is how it is, and I think we’re both prepared for a tough battle.’ 

Share or comment on this article:
Alexander Zverev insists he is NOT distracted from the French Open by his hearing for domestic abuse next week after being accused of assaulting his ex-girlfriend

Source link

Related Posts

Newcastle vs West Ham – Premier League LIVE: All the reaction as Nick Woltemade and Will Osula put Hammers on the brink of relegation – and Tottenham can seal their fate in TWO days
Sports

Newcastle vs West Ham – Premier League LIVE: All the reaction as Nick Woltemade and Will Osula put Hammers on the brink of relegation – and Tottenham can seal their fate in TWO days

May 17, 2026
Man United stars cheer on the kids in FA Youth Cup final: Michael Carrick brings Bruno Fernandes, Mason Mount and Luke Shaw for clash with Man City – with Pep Guardiola also casting his eye over future stars
Sports

Man United stars cheer on the kids in FA Youth Cup final: Michael Carrick brings Bruno Fernandes, Mason Mount and Luke Shaw for clash with Man City – with Pep Guardiola also casting his eye over future stars

May 14, 2026
Billionaire Milwaukee Bucks owner Wesley Edens allegedly extorted by Chinese divorcee for $1bn after sordid love affair, prosecutor claims
Sports

Billionaire Milwaukee Bucks owner Wesley Edens allegedly extorted by Chinese divorcee for $1bn after sordid love affair, prosecutor claims

May 11, 2026
Next Post
GSK wins US personal injury case over Zantac use

GSK wins US personal injury case over Zantac use

Senior members of Cambridge University stress the importance of EU funding

Senior members of Cambridge University stress the importance of EU funding

Child dies after ‘falling from upper-floor flat’ in south London: Police launch probe into latest tragedy to hit the capital

Child dies after 'falling from upper-floor flat' in south London: Police launch probe into latest tragedy to hit the capital

Recommended

Tottenham vs Arsenal – Premier League LIVE: Latest score and updates as Gunners blow away sorry Spurs to move five clear at the top

Tottenham vs Arsenal – Premier League LIVE: Latest score and updates as Gunners blow away sorry Spurs to move five clear at the top

3 months ago
Texas bodybuilder, 35, suffers from heart failure after drinking ice cold WATER: Liquid kept hitting nerve at back of his throat and triggering underlying condition

Texas bodybuilder, 35, suffers from heart failure after drinking ice cold WATER: Liquid kept hitting nerve at back of his throat and triggering underlying condition

2 years ago
Lakers star Luka Doncic signs $165M extension in move that could have huge LeBron James implications

Lakers star Luka Doncic signs $165M extension in move that could have huge LeBron James implications

10 months ago
Nintendo Switch 2 anime exclusive Orbitals is this year’s It Takes Two | Gaming | Entertainment

Nintendo Switch 2 anime exclusive Orbitals is this year’s It Takes Two | Gaming | Entertainment

4 weeks ago

Categories

  • Business
  • Crypto
  • Entertainment
  • Food
  • Health
  • Home Improvment
  • Lifestyle
  • Motering/Cars
  • News
  • Opinion
  • Press Release
  • Real Estate
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • Travel
  • World
No Result
View All Result

Highlights

Newcastle vs West Ham – Premier League LIVE: All the reaction as Nick Woltemade and Will Osula put Hammers on the brink of relegation – and Tottenham can seal their fate in TWO days

‘Masterpiece’ sci-fi hailed as ‘greatest film ever made’ leaving Amazon Prime in days | Films | Entertainment

Frozen chips in the air fryer will always be crispy if you avoid ‘very common’ mistake

Lovely Scottish Highlands box cottage up for sale for bargain price

Households with bigger gardens face being penalised with higher water bills under new green plans

Kate Middleton puts Northern Italy’s forgotten region, home to the ‘King of Cheeses’ – and a Mafia past – on the map

London Mail

London Mail | Stay Informed, Stay Inspired ©2025, All rights Reserved

Navigate Site

  • Home
  • About
  • Advertise
  • Contact

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Tech
  • News
  • Business
  • Science
  • Health
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Travel
  • Opinion

London Mail | Stay Informed, Stay Inspired ©2025, All rights Reserved